I am working on a new map generator, and would like to hear any ideas that you might have. (Just post them in the comments.)
- Where you start should influence your strategy.
- Map features should cause interesting strategic situations.
- The map should be visually interesting.
- Objects in space (e.g. stars, derelicts)
- ‘Terrain’ types (e.g. nebulae)
- Younger stars near the centre, older stars on the rim.
- At least three types of nebulae: dark, reflective and luminescent.
- Stars inside or beyond dark or reflective nebulae are invisible over long range.
- The galaxy has a number of arms depending on its size.
- The gaps between the arms are large enough to be hard to cross.
- Nebulae cover the core and the gaps between the arms.
- There are cracks in the arms, creating choke points.
- Wormholes occur, as shortcuts and choke points.
- There are different kinds of ancient alien remains:
- Ancient Wreck – Free tech
- Ancient Ship – Free ship which can be scrapped for tech
- Ancient Ruin – (Guarded?) A planet with a significant research bonus
- Ghost Colony – (Guarded) Free colony with infrastructure and artefacts
- Ancient Factory – (Guarded) Free factory space station
- Ancient Refuge – (Guarded!) A planet inhabited by an ancient race
- If I add ‘exotics’ as a resource type, the sources will be black holes, cosmic strings, etc.
Depending on how the ‘huge galaxy’ idea goes, I might even add the option to have multiple smaller galaxies instead.
Eventually, there will also be technologies to allow civilizations to modify the galaxy in various ways.