Thursday, December 13, 2012

Nostalgia and Inspiration

I took a trip down memory lane this week; I played the original Sid Meier's Colonization and the original Stronghold.

Sid Meier's Colonization
Stronghold
I was probably about 15 years old the last time that I played these, and really quite bad at strategy games.  Now that I play them again, I can really start to appreciate them.  It was pure luck that I played these two at about the same time; I started thinking, and they blended in my mind: I could see the similarities and the differences and the good ideas and the bad ideas, and suddenly inspiration struck.

Nation Builder would no longer be just another Dwarf Fortress clone; it will be something new.  It will bear some similarity to Dwarf Fortress, Colonization and Stronghold, but it will be a game in its own right.

No comments:

Post a Comment