Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Going Faster

I have been working on Cyclopean again.

I have modified the texture loader to be compatible with OpenGL 1.1, and to use direct buffers for sending the texture data to OpenGL. The compatibility issues were caused by my use of GL_UNSIGNED_INT_8_8_8_8_REV as the data type parameter. GL_UNSIGNED_BYTE works just as well, even though the buffer is an IntBuffer.

The process for creating a Vertex Buffer Object from map data now also uses a direct buffer, and I fixed a problem in the calculation of the size of the buffer, so there are no weird gigantic intermittent polygons anymore.

The rendering speed has increased dramatically now that everything is working right, so I am considering using a variant of this renderer for Nation Builder, instead of my shader-heavy normal-mapped high-detail 2-D renderer. The problem with the 2-D renderer is that it will take a lot of time to create good images for all the objects and creatures, and I just don't have the resources for that. Even if I decide to still use the 2-D renderer, I will have to downgrade the images to pixel-art level for practicality and remove the then-no-longer-needed shader programs.

No comments:

Post a Comment